Thursday, July 12, 2012

Frugal Decorating

I like to decorate. I'm not some amazing interior designer or anything, I just enjoy envisioning what I want something to look like and then finding things to go there.

When we first moved into our house 3 years ago, the huge space above my cabinets was calling my name. I couldn't wait to get stuff up there. But, I resisted going out and buying stuff all at once. That is KEY to frugal decorating: DO NOT buy everything all at once because most likely you are going to buy what's there and it may be pricey.

Tip #1: A frugal buyer is a patient one who shops sales, the clearance section, thrift stores, garage sales, and isn't afraid of going several times to each of these places to find exactly what she wants at the right price.

Tip #2: Shop your own house. You'd be surprised what you can do with the stuff you already have. And even if it's not exactly what you want, use it until you can find a cheap (but perfect) replacement.

Tip #3: You'd be surprised what a coat of spray paint can do. I haven't used this so much in my kitchen as other parts of my house and I have seen what a difference this can make from many other decorators. If you're out shopping and you find something that you like, but you hate the color, BUY IT! Spray paint is pretty cheap and can change everything!

Tip #4: Watch for coupons to popular stores and combine them with sales already going on. I've done this with things in other areas of my house.


So without further ado, let me show you some of my good finds from my kitchen that will hopefully give you some idea of how you can decorate for less $$ than you think:


Hmmm this ledge makes me happy because I saved so much money!
Brass flamingo: Free (My hubby already had it from something)
Clock: $10 at Deseret Book with a coupon (originally $60!!!)
Vase: $5 from Ross (It was marked down and to this day I still have no clue because just a few months ago I found another one like it at Ross and it was $12!)

Red plate: $4 at Wal-Mart. Once upon a time I almost bought a much larger plate (this is before I realized I wanted the plate in this place) at Target for $30. Until I realized I was INSANE for thinking about spending that much money on a plate. Again, the goal was to make this a cheap but nice-looking project.
Patch of ivy: $7 at Big Lots (this is actually three difference bunches of ivy taped together and spread out)


Patch of ivy: $7 at Big Lots (way cheaper than Porters or Michaels!)
Rooster: Free from my sister and just perfect!

Lantern: TJ-Max for $13! It was originally over $20, but there was a pane broken so they discounted it for me and you would never know because the pane isn't in front.
Candle: TJ-Max for $4.
Grow Old With Me saying: A gift from my hubby (love that man)
Little red vase: A wedding present. It isn't totally perfect, but again, it's free. :)

Bouquet: This is what I want to replace. It's my wedding bouquet, and I love it, but it's prettier to look at when it's at eye level. So I'm still in the process of finding a fake flowering plant to put here. I know it's been 3 years, but I'm being patient until I find the right thing!
Mirror: Clearance at a home decor shop in my area for $22 (which isn't FANTASTIC, but a good deal)
Tile: This is fun; I got the title for free from a Ward Swap where everyone brought stuff they didn't want and then you just took whatever you wanted. This title had some nasty vinyl on it, but I took it home, peeled off the vinyl and then bought vinyl for less than $4 to put on it. In stores, this would sell for at least $15.

Plant: $10 at Ross (love Ross if they have good stuff in!)
Ball of twigs: Free from my sister
Candlestick: $9 from Michaels with my coupon
Candle: Free from my mom
Family: A present from my husband

Christ picture: A wedding present from my fantastic siblings

Vase: $12 at Michaels (not that great of a deal, but the style goes perfect with Christ's era)
Pink Calla Lillies: $10 from Ross


My favorite inexpensive stores to shop at for decor would definitely be Ross, TJ-Max, Deseret Industries, and Michaels (but only when there's a sale and I have a coupon). I hope that has given you some ideas on where to shop and how to do it cheaply. The nice thing about the economy being bad is that frugal decorating is so in! Of course, it has helped that some of this stuff was given to me. But hey, I just stopped asking for new clothes for my birthday and home decor instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment